Personal Injury Lawyer
Office Locations
Contact the Law Offices of James Scott Farrin
Contact the Law Offices of James Scott Farrin 1-866-900-7078

What if I Was Injured in an Accident in North Carolina, but I Wasn’t Wearing my Seatbelt?

Seatbelt_07172014One day you're in the middle of making dinner when suddenly you realize - dang it. You're out of milk. You quickly turn the stove off, grab your keys and start driving to the grocery store around the corner.

As you're driving, your car starts making that awful seatbelt reminder sound that's designed to get on your very last nerve, but you ignore it. You're almost there.

But just as you're looking down at the flashing seatbelt light, you hear brakes squealing and the next thing you know your body is being hurled towards the steering wheel.

We've all done it. Gone without a seatbelt at one time or another that is. And if you haven't, well, you probably have a very proud mother.

But how does not wearing a seatbelt in a car accident affect your insurance claim?

That's an excellent question, especially if you live in North Carolina.

See Attorney Michael Jordan's response to this question below. Or continue reading.

Contributory Negligence

North Carolina has an older law which is often referred to as "contributory negligence."

This law means that if you're in an accident and you were doing something at the time that may have contributed to the accident (such as speeding), you're equally at fault and may be barred from receiving any compensation.

Other states have laws called "comparative negligence" in place that assign percentages to fault (so you could be 20% at fault for speeding, but the other guy might be 80% for turning left in front of you without enough time), but in North Carolina, you're typically at fault or not at fault.

Going without a seatbelt does NOT qualify as contributory negligence (and therefore you may be able to receive compensation for your injuries).

However, it may affect how much you receive.

In our experience, insurance companies may try to fight or reduce your claim, based on the fact that you weren't wearing a seatbelt at the time of the accident.
When they do, these cases can get complicated very quickly.

If you were in an accident and weren't wearing a seatbelt...

We recommend you call a NC car crash attorney right away.

At the Law Offices of James Scott Farrin, we work on a contingency fee basis, which means that if we don't get you compensation for your claim, you don't owe us an attorney's fee. It's just one more way we can demonstrate that we're confident in our abilities and really do want to help you.

Call us for a free case evaluation at 1-866-900-7078.

Contact Information

Asheville Law Office

300 Ridgefield Court Suite 309
Asheville, NC 28806
Phone: 828-552-8215
Toll Free: 1-866-900-7078

Charlotte Law Office

301 S McDowell St, Suite 900
Charlotte, NC 28204
Phone: 704-599-1078
Toll Free: 1-866-900-7078

Durham Law Office

280 South Mangum Street, Suite 400
Durham, NC 27701
Phone: 919-688-4991
Fax: 800-716-7881

Fayetteville Law Office

2915 Raeford Road, Suite 204
Fayetteville, NC 28303
Phone: 910-488-0611
Toll Free: 1-866-900-7078

Goldsboro Law Office

1308 Wayne Memorial Drive, Suite B
Goldsboro, NC 27534
Phone: 919-731-2581
Toll Free: 1-866-900-7078

Greensboro Law Office

300 N. Greene Street, Suite 850
Greensboro, North Carolina 27401
Phone: 336-665-7072
Toll Free: 1-866-900-7078

Greenville Law Office

702 Cromwell Dr. Suite G
Greenville, NC 27858
Phone: 252-355-5205
Toll Free: 1-866-780-3227

Henderson Law Office

514 Dabney Drive, Suite 200
Henderson, NC 27536
Phone: 252-492-4600
Toll Free: 1-866-900-7078

Morganton Law Office

216 N. Sterling Street, Suite B
Morganton, NC 28655
Phone: 828-219-3080
Toll Free: 1-844-520-2894

New Bern Law Office

1505 South Glenburnie Rd, Unit P
New Bern, NC 28562
Phone: 252-634-9010
Toll Free: 1-866-780-3422

Raleigh Law Office

4325 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 100
Raleigh, NC 27607
Phone: 919-834-1184
Toll Free: 1-866-900-7078

Roanoke Rapids Law Office

709 Julian R. Allsbrook Highway
Roanoke Rapids, NC 27870
Phone: 252-537-9670
Toll Free: 1-866-900-7078

Rocky Mount Law Office

144 Woodridge Court
Rocky Mount, NC 27804
Phone: 252-937-4730
Toll Free: 1-866-900-7078

Sanford Law Office

703-B South Horner Boulevard
Sanford, NC 27330
Phone: 919-775-1564
Toll Free: 1-866-900-7078

Wilson Law Office

2315 Airport Blvd Suite A
Wilson, North Carolina 27896
Phone: 252-246-9090
Toll Free: 1-866-900-7078

Winston-Salem Law Office

301 N. Main Street, Suite 2409-C
Winston-Salem, NC 27101
Toll Free: 1-866-900-7078