Personal Injury Lawyer
Office Locations
Contact the Law Offices of James Scott Farrin
Contact the Law Offices of James Scott Farrin 1-866-900-7078

Social Security Considerations for Tax Time

With the new year comes a new tax season. Though the deadline to file is not until April 15, these next couple of months will pass by very quickly. It is important to start getting your tax information together now so you have enough time to prepare a thorough file and to submit it by the deadline.

To help make filing a bit easier, the Social Security Administration released a few tips for handling Social Security matters on your taxes. Here's what you need to know:

Taxed Benefits

Depending on how much you receive in Social Security benefits and how much income you receive, you may have to pay taxes on your Social Security benefits. If your total income and benefits are at least $25,000, you will be responsible for paying federal taxes on some of those benefits. Married couples will have to pay some taxes if their income and benefits are at least $32,000.

You should receive a Social Security Benefits Statements form (Form SSA-1099) by January 31. This will be used to file your taxes.

Claiming Children

If you had a child in 2012, you can claim him or her as a dependent on your taxes. You will need a Social Security number for your child, which you can apply for along with the birth certificate in the hospital. However, if you did not apply for the number while you were in the hospital, you can apply directly to the Social Security Administration.

You can also use your child's Social Security number to apply for benefits on his or her behalf (if eligible).

Changing Your Name

If you were married in 2012 and you decided to change your name, you will need to apply for a new Social Security card updated with your new name. Your Social Security number will not change.

It is important to make sure that you have changed your name legally and that you have changed your name with your employer when you apply for a new Social Security card. If there is a discrepancy over your name between your employer and the Social Security Administration, there could be a delay in receiving your Social Security benefits.

Employee Benefits

Small business owners can easily report their employees' social security taxes and other taxes online. You can simply submit your employees' W-2s online at If you are in danger of missing the deadline for submitting W-2s, then submitting them online buys you a little extra time: The deadline is a month later on March 31.

If you have any questions about how to file for your Social Security benefits or any other issues regarding Social Security and your taxes, it is best to contact the Social Security Administration directly. You can find information online at A qualified certified public account may also be able to offer you some advice and guidance.

* Disclaimer: This is for general informational use only. The Law Offices of James Scott Farrin does not practice tax law, nor are we trained as certified public accountants, and, therefore, cannot give financial or tax advice. Please consult with a tax attorney or certified public accountant to discuss any specific tax questions you may have.

Contact Information

Asheville Law Office

300 Ridgefield Court Suite 309
Asheville, NC 28806
Phone: 828-552-8215
Toll Free: 1-866-900-7078

Charlotte Law Office

301 S McDowell St, Suite 900
Charlotte, NC 28204
Phone: 704-599-1078
Toll Free: 1-866-900-7078

Durham Law Office

280 South Mangum Street, Suite 400
Durham, NC 27701
Phone: 919-688-4991
Fax: 800-716-7881

Fayetteville Law Office

2915 Raeford Road, Suite 204
Fayetteville, NC 28303
Phone: 910-488-0611
Toll Free: 1-866-900-7078

Goldsboro Law Office

1308 Wayne Memorial Drive, Suite B
Goldsboro, NC 27534
Phone: 919-731-2581
Toll Free: 1-866-900-7078

Greensboro Law Office

300 N. Greene Street, Suite 850
Greensboro, North Carolina 27401
Phone: 336-665-7072
Toll Free: 1-866-900-7078

Greenville Law Office

702 Cromwell Dr. Suite G
Greenville, NC 27858
Phone: 252-355-5205
Toll Free: 1-866-780-3227

Henderson Law Office

514 Dabney Drive, Suite 200
Henderson, NC 27536
Phone: 252-492-4600
Toll Free: 1-866-900-7078

Morganton Law Office

216 N. Sterling Street, Suite B
Morganton, NC 28655
Phone: 828-219-3080
Toll Free: 1-844-520-2894

New Bern Law Office

1505 South Glenburnie Rd, Unit P
New Bern, NC 28562
Phone: 252-634-9010
Toll Free: 1-866-780-3422

Raleigh Law Office

4325 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 100
Raleigh, NC 27607
Phone: 919-834-1184
Toll Free: 1-866-900-7078

Roanoke Rapids Law Office

709 Julian R. Allsbrook Highway
Roanoke Rapids, NC 27870
Phone: 252-537-9670
Toll Free: 1-866-900-7078

Rocky Mount Law Office

144 Woodridge Court
Rocky Mount, NC 27804
Phone: 252-937-4730
Toll Free: 1-866-900-7078

Sanford Law Office

703-B South Horner Boulevard
Sanford, NC 27330
Phone: 919-775-1564
Toll Free: 1-866-900-7078

Wilson Law Office

2315 Airport Blvd Suite A
Wilson, North Carolina 27896
Phone: 252-246-9090
Toll Free: 1-866-900-7078

Winston-Salem Law Office

301 N. Main Street, Suite 2409-C
Winston-Salem, NC 27101
Toll Free: 1-866-900-7078