Fall in North Carolina is a time of year when drivers face a higher-than-usual risk of colliding with deer. The chances of striking a deer with your car in North Carolina are 1 in 139, according to a study released by State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Co. on Oct. 3. The odds of getting into a car accident with a deer are higher in North Carolina than in most other states (North Carolina is ranked 16 out of the 50 states).
As personal injury lawyers in North Carolina, we have seen the devastating impact of serious car accidents. North Carolina auto accidents can happen in an instant. If you or a loved one was injured, or a loved one sustained fatal injuries, contact an experienced North Carolina car accident lawyer at the Law Offices of James Scott Farrin. Tell them you mean business.
The top five counties in North Carolina for animal-related collisions in 2010 were Wake (1,051), Pitt (713), Duplin (646), Guilford (635) and Randolph (534), according to the North Carolina Department of Transportation. To avoid collisions with deer or other wildlife this fall, please consider the following safety tips provided by the NCDOT:
- Slow down if you see a deer-crossing sign or if you are moving through heavily wooded areas, especially during late afternoon or evening.
- Use your high beams, when possible, and watch out for eyes reflecting in the headlights.
- Be aware that deer travel in groups. If you see one crossing the road, more deer may be somewhere up the road.
- If you see a car, do not swerve. This may cause the car to rollover or may send you into the path of another car, leading to a more serious car crash.
- Sound your horn if you see a deer near or on the road.
- Keep a safe distance between your car and other vehicles. If the car ahead of you hits a deer, you may also become involved in the accident.
Accidents can happen fast, but the consequences can last for months, years or even a lifetime. If you sustained a car accident injury, don't hesitate to talk with a caring and tough-minded attorney. Contact the Law Offices of James Scott Farrin to see how we may be able to help.